Many tennis venues, coaches, volunteers and players all want to be valued and be part of something that significantly impacts on people’s lives.
To support tennis venues and coaches find out how you could use tennis to help improve both physical and mental health the LTA will be hosting an Open you Doors event on Thursday 19th September (6.30 – 9.30pm) at White Horse Leisure Centre.
Our Open Your Doors workshop educates tennis venues on what reasonable adjustments they can make so that they can provide a more welcoming, inclusive and accessible environment for disabled people to integrate into their venue.
The LTA wants to encourage and support tennis venues across Britain to open their doors to a wider diverse audience; people of all ages and from all backgrounds (including disability, faith, gender identity, race, sex and sexual orientation). Open Your Doors is a venue based programme designed by the LTA to tackle and support some of the issues faced by tennis venues in their efforts to integrate disabled people within their activities and facilities; so together we can give them more choice about where and how to play tennis in this country.
Coaches, volunteers and other key voluntary roles such as committee members and chair people are integral in shaping the overall playing and social experience at your venue. This course will therefore help you explore and understand how even small changes to the physical environment and the offers you provide can unlock opportunities for more people to enjoy playing tennis no matter what their ability.
This course is the first step for clubs, coaches and volunteers to understand what can be achieved in disability/inclusion and how to make your venue more inclusive.
Thursday 19th September, 18:30-21:30, White Horse Leisure & Tennis Centre
(£10 booking fee)
What will the course cover?
- Understand the current landscape and potential playing pathways of disability tennis across the 4 main impairments
- Identify new potential partners and organisations who can support you and your club; utilising the Open Your Doors booklet and identify best practice
- Identify the best possible training opportunities for your clubs coaches and volunteers.
- This course covers disability specific activity as well as integrated tennis activity and how to gain resources, support and finance in order to deliver this activity.
What will you / your venue receive?
- 3 Coach Credit Points
- £200 towards inclusive or disabled activity
- Inclusive equipment kit bag
- Further funding and support
If you have any questions about the course, please contact Sadie Lawson (Disability Development Partner) on Sadie.Lawson@LTA.org.uk