Leagues Meeting, 9 March 2017
Match Secretaries from clubs playing in the Babolat OLTA leagues came together on Thursday 9th March at North Oxford Golf Club for an awards ceremony and the regular six monthly fixtures meeting.
The evening opened with the presentation of certificates and trophies to the winners of the five categories of the Oxfordshire 2016 Aegon County Awards:
Community Venue of the Year – Parks Tennis Oxford
Coach of the Year – George Adzhikov
Outstanding Volunteer of the Year – Alison Jackson
Club of the Year – Wantage
Club volunteer of the Year –
This was followed by the presentation to clubs/teams that came top of their Divisions in the summer 2016 OLTA Babolat Leagues. In all, 32 framed certificates were handed out by OLTA Chair Nicky Maskens who made special mention of the three “top teams”; Witney A winner of Men’s Division 1, Cholsey A winner of Women’s Division 1 and Oxfordshire Health and Rackets Club A winner of Mixed Division 1.
Clubs were then updated on a number of league issues including the new summer scoring system and the re-structuring of divisions for winter 2017/18. Key points were:
- All winter 16/17 matches should be played by the second Sunday in April (9th April)
- No changes to the summer fixtures should be made after Thursday 16th March (except due to weather)
- The new summer scoring system will be used in 2017. Guidance for captains on this including a refresher on using the league planner software is set of in two “How to” guides (“League Planner Topics” and “OLTA online results process”). These can be found by clicking on…
- All results on league planner should be entered in the same way (Home1 v Away2, Home2 v Away1, Home1 v Away1, Home2 v Away2). Most clubs do this but not everyone.
- When scores are entered on league planner, the captain entering them should NOT confirm them. That’s for the opposition. It shows that they agree with what’s been entered.
- Clubs should update the details of captains and match secretary on league planner. This is where captains should look when they want to confirm forthcoming fixtures.
- Our new website will be up and running by the beginning of April. Until then you can find copies of the scoresheet, rules etc. under the resources tab of lta/in your area/oxfordshire.
- For winter 17/18 we will be re-structuring the leagues with a maximum division size of 12 teams and “three up three down”. The re-structure will deliver more manageable fixtures with matches once a fortnight (never two weeks in a row), a decent break over Christmas and the New Year, enough space to fit in fixtures postponed due to bad weather and more opportunities for movement, with half the teams in Divisions (excluding Men’s and Women’s Premier) changing each year.
The final part of the meeting was devoted to the summer league fixtures, with match secretaries negotiating changes to the draft fixtures circulated in late January.